Seattle University School of Law, Seattle, WA, Juris Doctor, May 2005, cum laude
- CALI® Award, Criminal Procedure–Adjudicative, Adj. Professor Scott O’Toole
- Focus Area: Criminal Practice
- Relevant Courses:
- Pretrial Advocacy
- Trial Advocacy
- Advanced Legal Writing
- Jury Trial Seminar
- Evidence & Evidence Lab
- Criminal Procedure – (Both Investigative & Adjudicative)
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry, Dean’s List
PUBLIC DEFENSE EXPERIENCE February 2013 – present
- Working as Contract Public Defender on gross and simple misdemeanors
- Appearing at all stages including first appearances, arraignments, pretrial hearings, motion hearings, jury trials, sentencings, and review hearings
- Covering Cities of Issaquah, North Bend, Carnation, Duvall and other municipalities
- Of Counsel to the O’Brien Law Firm 2018 – present
OTHER CRIMINAL LAW EXPERIENCE
Law Office of Ann Gruben, May 2011 – present
- Coverage attorney for private defense cases involving DUI, DWLS, other misdemeanor charges, and traffic infractions.
King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, District Court Unit, March – December 2010
Deputy Assistant Prosecuting Attorney
- Prosecuted misdemeanor DUI, DWLS, VUCSA, Assault, and other misdemeanors.
- Made filing decisions and represented the State on arraignments, pretrial hearings, negotiations, motion hearings, jury trials, sentencing hearings, and restitution hearings.
- Appeared on contested traffic hearings.
- Independently conducted legal research, wrote briefs, and litigated cases.
- Successfully argued dozens of legal motions and jury trials.
King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, Andress & Drug Units, August – Nov. 2006
Deputy Assistant Prosecuting Attorney
- Contract attorney in the Andress Unit handling felony murder re-adjudications.
- Responsible for Superior Court felony arraignment, bond hearing, and plea calendars.
- Charged felony drug cases and prosecuted them in Drug Court.
- Assisted a Senior Deputy Prosecutor with an attempted murder trial.
Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, District Court Unit, February – August 2006
Deputy Prosecuting Attorney
- Responsibilities included charging domestic violence cases and managing a full misdemeanor caseload from arraignment through disposition and review.
- Appeared daily in District Court for arraignments, pretrial conferences, review hearings, violation hearings, no contact order modification hearings, and jury trials.
Law Office of G. Helen Whitener, October 2005 – February 2006
Criminal Defense Attorney
- Worked as a contract defense attorney on misdemeanor and felony criminal cases and on two sexually violent predator civil commitment cases.
- Regularly appeared on cases in Tacoma Municipal Court, Pierce County District Court, and Pierce County Superior Court on other criminal matters.
Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, District Court Unit, January – May 2005
Rule 9 Legal Extern
- Worked as a Rule 9 extern on misdemeanor domestic violence assault and DUI cases.
- Appeared in District Court for arraignments, review hearings, probation violation hearings, no contact order modification hearings, and jury trials.
Attorney General of Washington, Criminal Justice Division, May – December 2004
Rule 9 Law Clerk
- Worked as a Rule 9 law clerk on civil commitment of sexually violent predators.
- Organized complicated discovery materials, wrote case summaries and presented cases to the unit attorneys, drafted pleadings, and performed legal research.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Merck Pharmaceuticals, Seattle, WA, January 1999 – August 2002
Professional Representative II
- Promoted cardiovascular therapies to physicians, nurses, pharmacists, hospital administrators, public health clinics, and other health care professionals.
- Organized educational lectures for health professionals.
- Trained other sales representatives on pharmacological and medical topics.
- Awarded “Top Performer” sales rating (awarded to the top 3% of all representatives) and recognized with two “Awards for Excellence.”
- Soccer Team Manager, ISC Gunners (2018 – present)
- Troop Leader, Girl Scouts of Western Washington (2012 – present)
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), City of Snoqualmie (2011 – present)
- Invited Member of Inn of Court – William L. Dwyer Chapter (2004 – 2006)
Running half marathons, Visiting National Parks, Learning new languages